Westfield Matildas storm to huge win over Vietnam in AFC Women's Asian Cup
The Westfield Matildas rocketed to the top of Group B with a valuable 8-0 demolition of Vietnam in the AFC Women's Asian Cup on Wednesday morning (AEDT).
Alen Stajcic made seven changes to the team that drew 0-0 with Korea Republic and will be pleased with the response as five first-half goals set up the rout.
Sam Kerr struck a brace to lead the damage, while Kyah Simon, Alanna Kennedy, Chloe Logarzo, Emily van Egmond and Hayley Raso were also on target.
Australia's massive victory moves them ahead of Japan on goal difference after they were also held to a scoreless draw by Korea Republic.
That two results mean the Westfield Matildas now only need a point against Japan on Friday night to seal a spot in the knockout stages and confirm qualification for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL! Simon gets the onslaught underway in just the eighth minute.
- SAVE: Khong Thi Hang uses her feet well to deny Alex Chidiac at close-range.
- GOAL! Kennedy doubles the advantage inside 20 minutes with a strong header.
- GOAL! Logarzo punishes a goalkeeping error to make it two in three minutes.
- CHANCE: Australia brilliantly work it to Logarzo on the left, but her cross is nodded around the far post by Kerr.
- GOAL! Van Egmond gets in on the act courtesy of a classy Simon pass.
- GOAL! Kerr's frustration is eased as she heads in a superb Kennedy cross.
- GOAL! The second half appears just as ominous for Vietnam as Kerr nets a sixth shortly after the restart.
- GOAL! An own goal breaks the Westfield Matildas' 20-minute wait for a seventh.
- CLOSE: Simon's dipping effort drops on top of the crossbar.
- GOAL! Stajcic's side have a second after half-time through an own goal.
- GOAL! Raso notches her second international goal to get Australia within two of double figures.
- CLOSE: Simon is denied by the woodwork for a second time after Hang failed to hold a cross.
Kyah Simon, Australia 8': 0-1
Logarzo slides Kerr in behind the defence and the forward squares unselfishly for Simon to side-foot in the opener.
Alanna Kennedy, Australia 18': 0-2
Kennedy makes her height advantage count, directing in a downward header from Elise Kellond-Knight's in-swinging corner.
Chloe Logarzo, Australia 21': 0-3
Vietnam goalkeeper Hang rushes out and misses a ball into the area, enabling Simon to square back across the face for Logarzo to tap into an empty net.
Emily van Egmond, Australia 28': 0-4
Staying on the shoulder of the last defender, Van Egmond charges onto Simon's perfectly-weighted pass, skips around Hang and strokes in a cool finish.
Sam Kerr, Australia 44': 0-5
Kerr expertly glances a header into the bottom far corner from Kennedy's inviting left-footed cross.
Sam Kerr, Australia 51': 0-6
The Kennedy-Kerr connection pays dividends again as the defender's left-sided delivery drops in Kerr's lap, the striker making no mistake with her finish.
Nguyen Thi Tuyet Dung OG, Australia 71': 0-7
Kellond-Knight's corner forces a scramble at the near post that ends with an attempted clearance ricocheting in for an own goal.
Hayley Raso, Australia 75': 0-8
The overlapping Chidiac receives Ellie Carpenter's pass and pulls a cut-back for Raso to poke home.