For the second year in a row, the Westfield Matildas have been grouped against China PR at the Algarve Cup.
Alen Stajcic’s side have enjoyed a strong recent record against China – including back-to-back wins in the recent home friendly series – and will start favourites when they meet in Portugal.
Here’s a look back at our record against the world’s 16th ranked nation.
Westfield Matildas v China PR
Given how well these two nations know each other, this looms as potentially Australia’s most difficult match of the group stage.
The Westfield Matildas and China PR have met on 40 previous occasions, dating back to the very first clash 30 years ago.
It was China who triumphed in that clash by a 7-0 margin, and the Asian nation dominated the early years of this match-up.
Of the 40 previous clashes, China has prevailed 19 times, with 10 draws, while the Westfield Matildas have won 11.
But of the last 10 matches between the two, Australia has lost just twice, winning six times.
In the most recent meetings, the Westfield Matildas totally dominated during the two-game series in Victoria last November.
Stajcic’s scintillating side won the first match 3-0 and then followed it up with a 5-1 drubbing in Geelong.
Westfield Matildas last 10 meetings with China PR
- 23‐05‐10: AFC Women’s Cup ‐ Lost 1-0
- 08‐09‐11: Olympic Games Qualifier - Won 1–0
- 24‐11‐12: EAFF Championship Qualifiers – Lost 1–2
- 24‐11‐13: Friendly International - Won 2–0
- 27‐11‐13: Friendly International - Won 2–1
- 25‐10‐15: Friendly International - Drew 1–1
- 09‐03‐16: Olympic Games Qualifier - Drew 1–1
- 06‐03‐17: Algarve Cup: Won 2–1
- 22‐11‐17: Friendly International - Won 3–0
- 26‐11‐17: Friendly International - Won 5–1